I recognize that there are benefits to computerized standardized testing. For starters, they are cheaper to administer than paper-based tests. I remember the examples Rory showed in class were something like $25 per student, which, in my own experience with computerized testing, is on the cheap side. Another is the prevention of teacher biases. To a computer, each student is simply a number or statistic and therefore can't be discriminated against. Lastly, they are the easiest to grade, which I understand to a certain degree but as an aspiring history teacher, I would prefer to grade my assessments by hand in order to get a better understanding of how my students are thinking.
As a history teacher, I don't believe that computerized testing is the best way to assess my students' learning. Multiple choice questions are an ineffective method of gauging how deeply a student is able to think about historical events and put them into context. History is about asking why things happened, not "what" or "who". In my own experience, there is no effective method of computerized short answer writing that doesn't require a teacher or trained grader. Why not cut out the middle man (or machine)? As a teacher, I need to understand how deeply my students are thinking about the lessons I am teaching them and I don't believe that computerized testing is the appropriate method of assessment.
What do other people think? Is this a cross-content area belief or am I off base here? I think that computerized testing is more affective in some content areas than others but at the end of the day it is generally most teachers in the MAC program would prefer paper-based testing. Anyone believe computerized testing is superior? I would love to hear a different perspective!
Derek, from the earth science perspective, I completely agree with you that computerized testing is the most appropriate method of assessment. Dewey advocated for experiential learning, but this method of assessment does not assess experience or ability to apply concepts in the real world. You bring up a good point that this type of assessment may be more applicable to some content areas versus others, which I completely agree with. While, I was excited to see the integration of sustainability concepts as well as earth science concepts in one of the ELA questions for 9th grade in the form of critiquing solar energy, I am not fully confident that this assessment would be applicable to earth science in the way I would want for my students.
ReplyDeleteThrowing a world language perspective into the mix, I heartily agree that computerized testing is not the way to go. Even as a student myself taking the GRE, I detested the online version. While reading, I absolutely have to be able to mark the text and scrawl some thoughts down. Not necessarily everyone is this way, but I feel students should be at least always given the paper option without being charged more. It's glaringly unfair to think that each student will not be disturbed by having to take a test online as opposed to on paper. Furthermore, for world languages as well as many other disciplines, multiple choice questions do not test actual learning. They often test test-taking skills or the ability to remember facts. As a whole, I feel like our entire test system need revamping. But going completely digital is not the way to fix it, although, like Derek pointed out, there are positives in computer-based testing. I just don't see them as outweighing the negatives.
ReplyDeleteMultiple choice questions can quickly and efficiently students' factual knowledge. In a 'history' context, if a student cannot correctly identify the events leading up to World War II, there there is no point in asking them to compare and contrast the annexation of the Sudetenland with the current crisis in the Ukraine. It is important to remember that factual knowledge is the building block for more complex concepts (Willingham, "Why Kids don't like school..." Chapter 4).
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, multiple choice questions need not only focus on factual knowledge (https://www.schreyerinstitute.psu.edu/MultipleChoiceItems/). Well written multiple choice questions can require students to apply knowledge or evaluate information.
Ultimately, it is important to remember that a variety of assessments should be used. Should you use computer based multiple choice questions? Yes, sometimes. Should you have students response to short answer questions? Yes, sometimes. Should have your students verbally answer questions? Yes, sometimes. Assessment should be a persistent intentional process where you seek to find where you students are in their understanding.
As both Meghan and you have stated, computerized testing is the most appropriate way of assessment. Take the MTTC or PRE exam. Before computer testing, this type of testing was incredibly efficient because all the instrument had to do was read the filled in bubbles and mark where there was a blank. So, looking at computer testing from a efficiency point of view, it is the best, and only, form of testing that should be out there. I still like paper testing better, and I think I might always will, but with the changing times, I think we need to prepare students for upcoming tests. Of course, multiple choice and true and false are easy to grade, but even if students try a few questions like those on the computer, they are already getting a handle on the testing situation. Of maybe have a review for the upcoming test as a computer test to get students used to the types of problems as well as how to work the testing portal. Just thinking out loud (or silently on my keyboard)!
ReplyDelete